Science Field Trip to Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory Open House
Saturday, October 13, 2018 — 9:15am - 3:15pm
Please arrive at the Bruce Museum promptly by 9:15 am to ensure 9:30 am bus departure.
For a Schedule of Events, see https://openhouse.ldeo.columbia.edu/news/explore-2018-exhibit-map-lecture-schedule
Whether you’re an aspiring young scientist or a long-time science enthusiast, you’re sure to enjoy Lamont-Doherty’s Open House.
- Visit the Seismic Sound Lab and experience the sights and sounds of earthquakes.
- Create your own eruptions at our hands-on exhibit featuring volcanoes of different eruptive intensity, volcanic rocks, and volcano research.
- Attend an Earth science lecture on the latest research and discoveries at the Observatory.
- Explore the Arctic of the future through hands-on activities that demonstrate the impact of sea ice loss.
- Tour the Core Repository to learn about one of the world’s most unique and important collections of sediment cores from every major ocean and sea.
- And much, much more.
Affiliated with Columbia University, LDEO is a world-class science research institution that also plays a vital role in education. Their annual open house is an exciting opportunity for adults and children of all ages to learn about our planet in fun and engaging ways! The programs feature exhibits from initiatives in Climate and Life, Changing Ice, Changing Coastlines, Extreme Weather and Climate, Anticipating Earthquakes, and Real Time Earth.
The event includes round-trip transportation between the Bruce Museum and LDEO by 38-passenger charter bus, all programs, and a donation to Lamont-Doherty. Lunch is available for purchase on the campus or bring your own.
Thanks to a generous donor who is underwriting to cost of bus service, we are pleased to offer this trip at a special low rate: Bruce Museum members and students with ID $5; non-members $15.
Advance registration required. Because seating is limited, please let us know if you need to cancel so the seat can be made available.
Please contact Cynthia Ehlinger (203-413-6756 firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions or to be placed on a waiting list.