Status: Part-time, including weekdays, some weekends, evenings, and holidays
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Deliver extraordinary customer service to Bruce Museum visitors, patrons, and staff.
- Welcome visitors as they enter the Museum and assist with way-finding, ticketing, and directions, both within the Museum as well as to the local area.
- Explain and suggest ticket options and process admission and reservation transactions, in-person and over the phone, in an efficient manner while maintaining an accurate cash drawer.
- Provide information and recommendations about Bruce Museum exhibits, programs, traveling exhibits, and memberships, both in person and over the phone.
- Maintain a well-informed, working knowledge of the exhibitions, programs, and services available at the Bruce.
- Assist with general administrative and clerical work, including filing, mailing, and screening and transferring phone calls.
- In the event of an emergency, follow procedures to safely assist visitors in the building.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Excellent communication and conversation skills; the ability to listen to visitors’ needs and interests and then make appropriate recommendations in an engaging and friendly way.
- A positive and professional attitude while working with the public, Museum members, and VIPs in an educational and entertaining setting.
- Experience with or the strong desire to learn the Bruce Museum’s Visitor Services principles, practices, and procedures; knowledge of science and art is a plus.
- Sales experience; experience in a museum or cultural institution setting is a plus.
- Ability and desire to work in a social environment while still paying attention to detail, accuracy, and individual needs.
- Reliable, punctual, and able to work weekends, holidays, and some evenings.
- Demonstrated computer literacy and working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications; experience with POS and/or database-driven software, such as Altru, is preferred.
- The ability to stand for several hours and bend and lift up to 25 pounds repeatedly.
- Some college preferred.
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.