Seasonal, full-time position.
13 weeks beginning early June through early September, 2018
35 hours per week, 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM (one-hour unpaid lunch break), Tuesday – Sunday, with flex day off. Must work weekends, July 4, and Labor Day Monday. There may be times, especially at the beginning and end of term, that fall outside the Tues. – Sun. schedule.
Position and Responsibilities:
The Naturalists for the Bruce Museum Seaside Center at Greenwich Point Park are responsible for the operation and care of the building and marine touch tanks, under the supervision of Museum staff and in cooperation with the Town of Greenwich. The Naturalists are responsible for the development, implementation, staffing and evaluation of educational programs at the Seaside Center as well as the supervision of interns, volunteers and the general public.
The position requires a high degree of independence, managing the public and groups of all ages, working in a marine environment, being able to operate a vehicle, and dealing with facilities that are unequipped to accommodate the physically challenged.
The position reports to Seaside Center Manager Cynthia Ehlinger, (and other museum staff as appropriate, e.g. manager of School/ Community Partnerships, Volunteer Program Manager, Exhibitions Design, Curator of Science, Finance or Facilities Maintenance). Comp/flex-time, as approved by supervisor.
Illustrative Examples of Work:
- Oversees the operation of the Seaside Center as part of a two-person team.
- Responsible for the supervision and scheduling of interns and volunteers in cooperation with Volunteer Manager.
- Monitors budgets under supervision of Museum staff.
- Keeps accurate records on Seaside Center attendance and volunteer hours.
- Files weekly reports as well as a season-end report to the Seaside Center Manager with attendance figures, volunteer hours, daily activities, building maintenance, etc.
- Coordinates activities and building maintenance with the appropriate Town of Greenwich officials through appropriate Museum staff, including beach access for interns, volunteers and special groups.
- Schedules and organizes groups in coordination with the Bruce Museum Seaside Center Manager.
- Develops and executes education programs for general visitors, group visits, and special public programs (i.e. nature walks, seining activities, workshops, crafts, etc.).
- Trains, schedules and evaluates interns and volunteers.
- Maintains saltwater aquaria and responsible for the care and feeding of marine life.
- Maintains daily cleanliness of Seaside Center facility.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Traits:
- Demonstrated management skills.
- Teaching experience.
- Knowledge of marine life and environmental science and ability to handle natural history collection objects in accordance with general museum practices.
- Knowledge of informal and museum/naturalist education methods.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer literate.
- Familiarity with general office procedures.
- Current driver’s license.
- US citizens only, local resident, a plus.
Recommended Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in science, education, museum studies or related field.
Ability to work with children and adults of all ages.
Knowledge of marine and terrestrial ecosystems.
Send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com