Status: Part time, Per diem
Hours: Varies (On average 1-2 days each week)
The Instructor’s primary responsibility is teaching the Bruce Museum’s outreach programs. This includes:
• Researching background information to build an understanding of program content and materials.
• Preparing for each class, including the assembly and return of materials in a careful and timely fashion.
• Loading, unloading and driving Brucemobile vehicles with collection objects and program materials.
Instructors may also periodically teach museum-based programs and assist staff with special programs, such as large-scale family events.
The Audience Engagement Department of the Museum has a responsibility to present quality programs by qualified museum professionals. Therefore, the Audience Engagement Department trains all Brucemobile Instructors. To accomplish this, the Audience Engagement Department will:
• Provide program objectives and outlines for established classes.
• Model program presentation and instruction.
• Assist in development of instructor’s classroom management skills.
• Lead training sessions on program procedures for all Instructors.
• Observe and evaluate instructors on a regular basis. Provide feedback in a timely manner.
• Bachelor’s Degree in art, science, history, education, museum studies, or related field required.
• Previous teaching experience required.
• Unattended mobility required in object handling, ability to drive the museum vehicles and visit facilities unequipped to accommodate the physically challenged.
• Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. unassisted.
• Current driver’s license with clean driving record. Background check will be required after hire.
Reimbursement: Brucemobile Instructors are per diem employees and are reimbursed for outreach programs on a per-class basis. Instructors are paid an hourly wage for teaching museum-based programs, assisting with special events, and attending training sessions and planning meetings. The Museum owns two vehicles, called Brucemobiles, to be used for travel to and from programs.
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
The Bruce Museum seeks a FT Registrar to oversee the proper care, handling, storage (on- and off-site), security, environment, packing, shipping, and insurance of all permanent collection and temporary (loan) objects. Registrar reports to the Executive Director; and supervises the Collections Manager. Record keeping includes records of temporary custody receipts, letters of acceptance/refusal, accession/deaccession files, certificates of insurance, condition reports, exhibition contracts, other documents and information related to permanent collection and incoming/outgoing loans. Registrar maintains Museum exhibition files, ISBN information, publication rights, image archives, and prepares packing, shipping, and insurance budgets for exhibitions. Registrar responds to public inquiries about the permanent collection. Reviews/updates Museum’s facility report and Collection Management Policy and oversees collections management database: Proficio by Re:Discovery.
Requirements: Extensive knowledge of museum/collection techniques relevant to storage, conservation, handling, materials, record development, management, ethics, maintenance. Knowledge of legal issues regarding acquisition, possession, deaccession of cultural items. Excellent verbal, written skills, meticulous, well-organized, collegial, flexible, diplomatic. Able to manage time and multiple priorities.
Bachelor’s Degree in Art History and a Master’s in a discipline related to museum studies, arts management and/or museum collections. Three to five years previous experience with evidence of responsibility in collections care, knowledge of current museum standards and practices. Additional years and a demonstrated track record may be acceptable alternatives to a higher degree.
Apply with cover letter and resume to email@example.com, or Registrar Job, Bruce Museum, 1 Museum Drive, Greenwich CT 06830, or fax 203.869.0963. No phone calls, please.