Diaspora Cloud, 2017.
Photo by Guillaume Ziccarelli.
Courtesy of Creative Time.
Diaspora Cloud, 2017
Flag at the Bruce Museum
Diaspora Cloud by Vik Muniz
June 6, 2018 - June 30, 2018
The Bruce Museum presents Diaspora Cloud by Vik Muniz, part of Creative Time's Pledges of Alliance.
On June 6, 2018, the Bruce Museum raised artist Vik Muniz ’s Pledges of Allegiance flag, Diaspora Cloud. The flag will fly over the front entrance of the Museum through the end of the month.
Pledges of Allegiance is a nationwide art project organized by the New York-based public arts nonprofit Creative Time. The flag will be on view at 19 cultural institutions and universities across 16 states.
Muniz’s Diaspora Cloud features a cloud floating against a blue background, evoking a geographically and temporally dispersed public that nevertheless share a similar viewpoint. The flag cleverly cites Clouds, his Creative Time project from 2001. In the public art project, clouds were “drawn” over the Manhattan skyline by a crop-dusting plane re-worked for skywriting. Muniz uses the sky as a metaphor for the ephemerality of connection within a community.
Pledges of Allegiance was originally conceived by Alix Browne and developed in collaboration with Cian Browne, Fabienne Stephan, and Opening Ceremony.
Muniz’ s flag will be raised across the following 19 locations:
1. Creative Time Headquarters - 59 E 4th St, New York, NY
2. 21C Museum Hotel Durham - 111 Corcoran St, Durham, NC
3. Blue Star Contemporary - 116 Blue Star, San Antonio, TX
4. John Nicholas Brown Center for Public Humanities and Cultural Heritage, Brown
University - 357 Benefit Street, Providence, RI
5. Bruce Museum of Arts and Science - 1 Museum Dr, Greenwich, CT
6. City of Bloomington, Indiana - Seminary Park, 546 S College Avenue; City Hall, 401 N
Morton Street; and Rosehill Cemetery, 1100 W 4th Street, Bloomington, IN
7. Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art, Cornell University - 114 Central Ave, Ithaca, NY
8. KMAC Museum - 715 W Main St, Louisville, KY
9. Mid-America Arts Alliance - 2018 Baltimore Ave, Kansas City, MO
10. Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit - 4454 Woodward Ave, Detroit, MI
11. Otis College of Art and Design, MFA Art + Social Practice - 9045 Lincoln Blvd, Los Angeles,
12. RISD Museum - 224 Benefit Street, Providence, RI
13. Zimmerli Art Museum, Rutgers University - 71 Hamilton Street, New Brunswick, NJ
14. SPACE - 536 Congress Street, Portland, ME
15. Texas State Galleries - 233 West Sessom Drive, San Marcos, TX
16. The Union for Contemporary Art - 2423 N 24th Street, Omaha, NE
17. The Commons, in partnership with the Spencer Museum of Art, University of Kansas -
1340 Jayhawk Blvd, Lawrence, KS
18. University of South Florida Contemporary Art Museum - 3821 USF Holly Dr, Tampa, FL
19. Wassaic Project - 37 Furnace Bank Road, Wassaic, NY
ABOUT VIK MUNIZ
Photographer and mixed-media artist Vik Muniz is best known for repurposing everyday materials for intricate and heavily layered recreations of canonical artworks. Muniz works in a range of media, from trash to peanut butter and jelly, the latter used to recreate Andy Warhol’s famous Double Mona Lisa (1963) that was in turn an appropriation of Da Vinci’s original. Muniz’s Perfect Strangers is installed at the newly-opened 72nd Street subway station in New York City
ABOUT PLEDGES OF ALLEGIANCE
Pledges of Allegiance is a nationwide public art project by Creative Time. The project is a serialized commission of sixteen flags, each created by contemporary artists.