The Bruce Museum's Seaside Center, part of the Floren Family Environmental Center in the Innis Arden Cottage, is open for family programs on the first Sunday afternoon of each month and will open for the 2014 season in late June.
The Seaside Center is a beachside museum located in Greenwich Point Park, Old Greenwich, about 6 1/2 mile from the main facility in Greenwich. The Seaside Center aims to educate visitors about the ecology of Long Island Sound and environmental issues. Click here for directions.
Get the current weather conditions at Greenwich Point http://www.weatherlink.com/user/greenwichpoint/
The Seaside Center is open to the public on the first Sunday of each month (see below) and from late June through August.
Seaside Center Hours (in summer season): Wednesday – Sunday, 11 am – 5 pm
Monday & Tuesday closed
First Sunday Science at the Seaside Center
Join us for family-friendly events held on the first Sunday of every month.
Programs in the series focus on an array of topics including the animals and plants observed in Long Island Sound, current environmental concerns and issues facing our local estuary, the history of Greenwich Point, and much more! The Bruce Museum is spearheading these collaboratively organized programs with regional organizations that work towards a sustainable future for Long Island Sound and surrounding watershed.
Please check the Calendar for individual dates. All programs are held from 1:30 pm to 4:00 pm at the Bruce Museum Seaside Center, located in the Innis Arden Cottage. Participation in programs is free but a Town of Greenwich beach pass is required for entry to Greenwich Point during the summer season. Please contact Cynthia Ehlinger, email@example.com or 203-413-6756, for details.
- April 6: Earth Day Month Celebration – Conservation Commission with other environmental groups present "Wonders of Water"
- May 4: All About Birds – Co-sponsored by Friends of Greenwich Point. Live birds of prey from New Canaan Nature Center. Audubon Greenwich and International Migratory Bird Day. Check out the nesting Purple Martins. Take a closer look at Bruce Museum bird specimens.
- June 1: Horseshoe Crabs are coming: Project Limulus Sacred Heart University
There is no admission fee for the Seaside Center. However you do need a beach pass to enter Greenwich Point where the Seaside Center is located. Click here to learn more about the beach pass.
Seaside Center highlights:
Previous summer programs:
- Live-animal marine touch tank and aquaria, seashore dioramas, history of Greenwich Point, helpful naturalists and more!
- Wednesdays, 2 p.m. Squid dissections. Get a hands-on look at the anatomy of this mollusk!
- Thursdays, 11 a.m. Guided Nature Walks. Including geologic history of Greenwich Point and coastal explorations
- Fridays, 1-4 p.m. Arts and Crafts. This summer, make: fish frames, egg carton creatures, sand art, fish prints, critter plates, sailor’s bracelets, shell fossils, and plant seeds!
- Sundays at low tide. Shoreline seining
- Scientific Research. Ask how you can help! Find a horseshoe crab with a white tag? Call it in! (1-888-LIMULUS)
- Help us collect data for the Long Island Sound biodiversity database.
These activities are open to visitors during Seaside Center hours with no advanced reservations.
- Children under five must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Looking for a volunteer position this summer? High School and College Students, learn about the ecology of the Long Island Sound and share your knowledge with visitors. The Seaside Center is always looking for volunteers throughout the summer months to help coordinate and supervise programming and activities at Bruce Museum’s Seaside Center at Greenwich Point. Students with an interest in environmental education should contact Volunteer Program Manager Mary Ann Lendenmann at 203-413-6746 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Groups of 10 or more require advance reservations.
- Groups will be charged a fee.
- To make reservations and discuss programming, please contact Peter Linderoth, Manager of Outreach Education, at 203-413-6742 or email@example.com.